Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog IPR issues

To: "John Bateman" <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:49:06 -0400
HI John    (01)

when I entered this forum, I remember one of my first conributed
discussion was :
how do we publish (and bring to the attention of other researchers)
our research without going throught the painful review process which
seems designed to hold the progress of science, rather than to promote
it? more important, how do we use the web to help us speed up our
research review process?    (02)

I started publishing research notes on this forum, certain that the
contributions would be welcome, acknowledged and criticised by this
valuable 'virtual panel' , and they have, for which I am grateful.    (03)

 I wrote the paper you reference  last year, nobody in the ISCRAM
committee knew what an ontology was, the paper was not accepted, but I
contested the validity of the reviews and we left it like that at the
time.  This year we managed to pull off a dedicated session, currently
being held at ISCRAM in dc, of which I am co-chair. There is a
reference on the w3c wiki (search: w3c incubator emergency) and find
the further references at the bottom of the page) to an academic paper
by a guy at berkeley that quotes my work, hope thats good enough for
you (sorry I am vague)    (04)

I think in this day of web 2.0 science and knowledge being exchanged
dynamically, we may have find ways to reference scientific and
academic contributions which come into being from mailing lists and
wikis. This is what IPR policies are for, right? Do you have funding
to start a research programme on that? or should we just agree that
what is published should be acknowledged, irrespective of where it is
published?    (05)

I think (hope) that I have circulated pointers and links to current
sessions and work in this domain, including an invitation to put in
paper to our Ontology for Crisis Management session (rex brooks.
michelle and bob smith have been invited) and to the w3c incubator
meeting being held this week in dc at bm to which everyone is invited
- btw    (06)

I was pleased to have spent the afternoon yesterday on the ontology
for crisis management panel, and gary berg cross from this community
was in attendance    (07)

look forward to further inputs and exchanges    (08)

pdm    (09)

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th