Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog IPR issues

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bateman <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 17:30:50 +0200
Hi Paola,    (01)

thanks for pointers (although somewhat vague).
As a consequence, I think I begin to understand your problem:
the materials you point to appear to be almost exclusively
contributions to Wikis, Blogs and similar. I am trying to fill
in the reference to the pdf file for the paper
"AN OPEN ONTOLOGY FOR OPEN SOURCE EMERGENCY
RESPONSE SYSTEM" (which I will read with interest) but
haven't managed yet. It doesn't seem to be an ISCRAM2007 contribution,
but the references would put it past ISCRAM2006.
I don't like citing papers that only have
a url for a pdf (positively retro, I know), so if you have proper
bibliographical references, that would be great.    (02)

As you write:    (03)

[http://www.content-wire.com/cw-rss/xmlfeed/7531
publication date: "1170115200" (?)]
> This 'Open Ontology' requirement has been sitting on my desktop for a
>  few days now, me thinking, how should I best publish this?
>
> Write to the OSI foundation? Wait for the next journal deadline?
> (could take months)
>
> I have a couple of research papers underway, but admittedly I have
> not been coherently following a Journal Publication strategy in my
> research, nor in any other area of my life.    (04)

I see that this would encourage you to chase IPR issues for other forms
of presentation more strongly. The times are
a-changin, but they haven't quite caught up with you yet I fear.    (05)

However, now I find the leap from the list of requirements you put in the
above contribution and on the Ontolog wiki-page to the
statement: "I am reserving right of first academic publication
to publish in relevant journal" to be even more enormous.
First publication of *what*? And how long must we wait?
(and what if your first submissions are rejected, horror of
horrors?). This is more than I thought:
is it really now the case that you are suggesting that on
the basis of the wiki page and similar statements made
on other wikis and discussion lists, that no one should be
allowed to even publish a paper in a scientific journal
on open ontology before you do? Even if they cite
the wiki-page? Surely not.    (06)

Or do you just mean the text verbatim
as it appears on the wiki-page should not be used by
someone else as their own work, which I would agree
with morally regardless of what the legal experts
come up with (but this doesn't appear to have happened).    (07)

Anyway, let me know when it's sorted.    (08)

(Then I can decide whether the times have changed sufficiently
to motivate my sprinkling promisory notes liberally
across the web...)    (09)

John B.    (010)