Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog IPR issues

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 08:53:10 -0400
John and Pat    (01)

PH
 My name does not
>  > appear anywhere on the ISO Common Logic standard, which I wrote
>  > almost entirely (apart from appendices B and C), and I'm cool with
>  > that, as I had the option of being the Editor and turned it down    (02)

cool or not cool, if your name is not on it thats a factual error,
I suppose  when you move toward the end of your career, your
prioritities are different from when you are establishing one    (03)

. And
>  > I know in several cases I have re-invented an idea which has then
>  > been published and only afterwards has it been noted that it (or
>  > something very like it) had in fact been previously known. In some
>  > cases, it is virtually impossible to reconstruct an accurate
>  > attribution history, as some ideas were kind of half-known to an
>  > entire community for a while, and only became sharp and crystallized
>  > later, over an extended period of debate and discussion.    (04)

yes, and in some cases it is virtually possible to do so, depending on how well
the process has been documented, and how well the web based communication system
is supporting such documenation, in terms of timestamp, versioning and
durability of 'provenance' of knowledge    (05)

 nobody could ever deny that you had an input on cl standard,
just because your name is not on it, does not mean you did not contribute to it
and you can prove it thanks to the existance of online and offline archives    (06)

JS
>  For a copy of Ockham's Summa Logicae (in Latin),
>
>  http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/resources/ockham/Summa_logicae.txt
>
>  For an English commentary,
>
>  http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/articles/Ockham.Summa_logicae.pdf    (07)

will read and add to references of discourse, thanks    (08)

PDM

--
Paola Di Maio
School of IT