Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog IPR issues

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 07:40:22 -0400
By the way, there is also a translation of some of
Ockham's Summa Logicae,    (01)

http://www.pvspade.com/Logic/docs/ockham.pdf    (02)

Unfortunately, this excerpt does not include Part II,
which contains the body of Ockham's model theory.    (03)

And by the way, Paul Spade also has a 189-page history
of the problem of universals in the Middle Ages:    (04)

http://www.pvspade.com/Logic/docs/univers.pdf    (05)

This is just one part of the immense amount of discussion
about the "problem of universals" throughout history.    (06)

It is also part of the reason why I strongly believe
that any topic that is so problematical and has been so
controversial for so many centuries should *not* be taken
as a foundation for any practical ontology we intend to
develop, recommend, or proliferate.    (07)

I suggest the far less controversial and far easier to
explain terms 'type' and 'instance'.    (08)

John Sowa    (09)