Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: steve.ray@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:10:16 -0500
I don't think of this collection of ideas (Data Dictionary,Vocabulary,  Glossary, DictionaryData Model,  Taxonomy , GrammarLanguageOntology) as natural types so there isn't a nature based definition or a descent relation that leads to Ontology from the prior list.

There are some that are mostly from a family of Language practice that precedes digital creations including vocabulary and have language uses, but then gets used in some way in things like data dictionaries and ontology which need a vocabulary.  A data dictionary entry is often quite a bit different than a traditional dictionary entry, since it has a data focus/purpose.  There is often a relational data model behind it so entity-attribute items are prominent as structures while grammatical category is not.

But the free text in a good data dictionary may approach some of what is in a Dictionary.  There are other types of technical term repositories & glossaries  such as abound in ISO where a domain is covered and its basic vocabulary is detailed.

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies