Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: segun alayande <salayande@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:03:30 +0000
Hi Frank,

Thank you for sharing your experience. The implications of your experience for the industry is depressing but it contrasts with my experience. I started my career in a consultancy (a large one) as a developer (enabled me to work across different sectors and business functions) and moved on to developing  corporate data/information models. I currently manage an enterprise architecture programme. I have therefore developed a variety of skills along the way that span the silo (data / software design divide). Does this make me an exception? I don't think so. Along the way, I have worked with colleagues who had a variety of skills across the data and software divide, also.

I suspect that factors like the size of the organisation, consultancy or end user environment influence the opportunities to learn and in addition,  the personal interests of the IT person often influence what skills they acquire.  Different environments offer different levels of opportunities to obtain a multiplicity of IT experience.  This type of opportunity has been linked to job satisfaction.People have been known to move across different organisations to develop other skills (and to get more money of course).

Segun
07932651840