Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:09:39 -0500
Segun -

On Feb 14, 2014, at 9:03 AM, segun alayande wrote:

I currently manage an enterprise architecture programme. I have therefore developed a variety of skills along the way that span the silo (data / software design divide).

In such situations—multiple skills spanning multiple organizational silos—in your experience where do projects store the various artifacts they find at the beginning of a project, modify/create in the course of the project & ultimately put on the production shelf when project is finished?

For 25 years such a place was the specialized Bill-of-Materials DBMS called a data dictionary.  End of the 1980s IBM's short lived AD/Cycle effort relabeled the dictionary to metadata repository.

These days I see/hear "repository" being used to mean simply "database."  Think language evolution: file, database, relational database, repository?

Totally aside from the fact that the central data dictionary simply doesn't exist anymore in any commercial sense, organizations are far too distributed today.  If there is a distributed data dictionary, please speak up.

As an essential footnote... "language control" (which includes at least glossary, ontology, controlled language, naming standards, etc.) should be an integral part of the RepoDict (DictRepo?).

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx