Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:11:05 -0500
David and John M,    (01)

DE
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zachman_Framework_Detailed.jpg
>
> By no means am I saying that the Zachman Framework (which he now
> labels an ontology) is the bees knees.  There are plenty of such
> frameworks—DoDAF, ToGAF, MoDAF—to choose from.    (02)

JM
> What do you think of the six headings (who, what, why, when, how, where)
> as the most base classes in one's ontology?    (03)

I'm the one who suggested those headings to John Z.  He was planning
to extend his original 3-column framework to 6 columns.  We were both
working at IBM at the time, got into some discussions about it, and
wrote a joint article:  http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/sowazach.pdf    (04)

But don't thank me for the idea.  Aristotle published it first.    (05)

JM
> There are a few others (which, how much) that I believe are equally valid,
> but the utility of this general approach has been very appealing to me.    (06)

Aristotle had ten categories with a question word (or phrase) for each.
In Greek, any word or phrase can be treated as a noun by putting a
definite article in front.    (07)

Cicero translated Aristotle's categories into Latin, which doesn't have
a definite article.  So Cicero used Latin nouns -- or coined new ones:
from 'quantum' (how much?), he got 'quantitas'; from 'qualis' (what
kind?), 'qualitas'.    (08)

For more about Aristotle's categories and their relationship to logic,
see the slides for Aristotle's Patterns of Logic and Ontology:    (09)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/aristo.pdf    (010)