Re: [ontolog-forum] fitness of XML for ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 11:15:20 -0500
On 2/7/14 9:36 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Kingsley and Tara,
>
> I agree with both of you.
>
> KI
>> If they [Amazon, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn...] used RDF
>> (forget about the RDF/XML notation) they would have
>> a much better system.
> Yes.  My only addition is that we need upward compatible extensions.
> OWL is one example.  My only complaint about OWL is the word 'the'
> in front of the name.    (01)

Yes, the use of "The" is rampant in dialog around technologies relating
to W3C specs. This is indeed a problem, one that many do not immediately
recognize at first blush. I consider it a kind of passive-aggressive
mode to marketing that's inherently divisive, as demonstrated by "The
Semantic Web" meme and the negative role of RDF/XML.    (02)

This passive-aggressive issue leads to cognitively dissonant debates
that generate comments such as: you are talking about "semantic web" and
I am talking about "The Semantic Web" etc..    (03)

>    If they called OWL "A Web Ontology Language",
> I'd be happy.  But note the comments below.    (04)

Yes, for sure!

> TA
>> The very idea of schemas for JSON is anathema to many JSON users,
>> so don't expect much support from the community for this.
> I agree that unrestricted JSON is a meaningless notation.  It's worse
> than unrestricted natural language, because it provides the *illusion*
> of being precise.
>
> TA
>> The XML schema description language (XSD) certainly has many
>> shortcomings, but there are other options, especially Relax NG,
>> NVDL and Schematron (http://dsdl.org/), all supported by tools
>> like oXygen (http://oxygenxml.com)
> The growth of multiple specification languages is fine -- provided
> that there is a systematic way to relate their semantics to one
> another.
>
> There will never be "One ring to rule them all."  But we can have
> better methods for relating them and supporting interoperability.
>
> John

Yes! And therein lies a contradiction not recognized by some that
espouse Semantic Web openness and de-centralization while being utterly
intolerant of alternative world views -- in regards to how logic,
structured data, and relation semantics get woven into the World Wide
Web or any other HTTP based network, for that matter.    (06)

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software