Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:39:57 -0400
On 9/21/13 12:16 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Paul, Kingsley, and David,
>
> PT
>>> General principle: Standardization spells reduced revenue stream for
>>> big software vendors. They will resist it as long as their customers
>>> keep buying non-standards-compliant products.
> KI
>> Really well stated!!!
> Yes.  In every industry, companies try to differentiate their products
> by adding "secret sauce" to their "snake oil".
>
> The only customers that can analyze the issues and have the purchasing
> power to enforce standards are big corporations and big governments.
> But the biggest corporations often ignore even the biggest governments.
>
> KI
>> The proprietary technology dance repeats itself over and over again.
> Of course it does.  It's essential for innovation.  Patents were put
> into the US Constitution to *encourage* companies to create proprietary
> designs and give them a short-term monopoly of the results.  But the
> mechanisms for deciding what should be patented are seriously flawed.
>
> The idea of "proactive standards" -- of which the W3C is a leading
> generator -- is to do an end run around the usual de facto stuff.    (01)

Yes, "proactive standards" are problematic and ultimately flawed. Strong
agreement on that front!    (02)

> Unfortunately, the W3C's policy of rapid approvals puts too much junk
> into their standards before the issues have been tested in practice.    (03)

Certainly it leads to standards that are quite brittle when tested out
in the field. There's no way around acknowledging and then standardizing
de facto standards. If I recall, TCP/IP was a de facto standard for many
years.    (04)

>> Legacy systems do not contain public information.  They contain
>> corporate  proprietary information.    (05)

That's become public these days via innumerable breaches of corporate
systems where the data ends up in the personal and enterprise data
"underground market" .    (06)

>>   The systems themselves are
>> proprietary & the data in the systems is proprietary.    (07)

Not as proprietary as you might assume once in the "underground market"
or in the hands of spooks, as the whole NSA affair continues to
demonstrate.    (08)

> Yes.  I would add personal data.  A lot of my personal data is stored
> by corporations whose security systems I depend on.  At least, I'm
> thankful that they use RDBs, not SW formats.    (09)

Please!    (010)

SQL RDBMS engines are horrible when it comes to security. Just down
right horrible. They  use literal identifiers for their objects, they
are utterly challenged by semantics, and eternally vulnerable to social
engineering. This has been the case (in my eyes) since I started working
on SQL DBMS middleware more than 20 years ago. It's only gotten worse
with the Web and Internet dimensions in the mix.    (011)

The solution to this problem with where the Semantic Web technology
stack is extremely strong. I know that from what I am able to achieve
with sophisticated data access policies that can even apply to SQL RDBMS
hosted data via RDF based Linked Data views.    (012)

Basically, while ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET from RDBMS vendors exist
(pre-installed) on systems, and users and enterprises remain ambivalent
of what data actually is, they are vulnerable beyond description.    (013)

This matter of identity, privacy, and all around data security is where
Semantic Web technologies run rings around the "old" SQL RDBMS stuff,
and I am being very kind to the SQL RDBMS stuff in this regard.    (014)

NIST explaining these matters quite well via their Attribute Based
Access Control (ABAC) [1] effort.    (015)

Links:    (016)

1. http://csrc.nist.gov/projects/abac/ -- Attribute Based Access Control
(ABAC)
2. http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/ -- Role Based Access Control