Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400
On 9/20/13 7:53 PM, David Eddy wrote:

> I thought I was explicit in stating that a major challenge of legacy
> systems is NOT the data, but the systems themselves... COBOL, JCL,
> CICS, DB2, IMS, DELTA, EasyTrieve, etc.
There are tools in the form of data access drivers that provide access
to data associated with all the above. These drivers enable access via
SQL i.e., the middleware maps the underlying data to the RDBMS model.
Once in place, you can build on from there. That's all been in place
before there was a "Semantic Web" meme.    (01)

Now, when the data is loosely coupled via a middleware layer, you can
then bring in the tools from the Semantic Web stack that remap the data
by way of views endowed with requisite semantics defined by an ontology
etc..    (02)

Regards,    (04)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO