Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:03:41 -0500
Hans,    (01)

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but it is somewhat aside
from the point I was trying to emphasize, which is that the ultimate
measure of system effectiveness is how well it (they) support(s) the
human activities within the enterprise. Of necessity, "silo"
applications are deployed to support specialized functionality for
different parts of the enterprise. That's fine, except:    (02)

1. It often leads to violation of the DRY (don't repeat yourself)
principle for data and business logic.
2. The data available to a user of a "silo" application is arbitrarily
truncated to what the system designers consider necessary to its users.
In a complex, changing enterprise those limitations are at best a
nuisance, at worst an impediment to business process execution.
3. Inbound and outbound links, which might ameliorate the above defects,
are missing from "silo" applications, either because the architecture
does not support them, or to protect vendor lock-in (or both). Good for
the software vendors, bad for the software users.    (03)

Regards,
--Paul    (04)