Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:29:45 -0500
On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 14:17 -0400, David Eddy wrote:
> Kingsley -
>
> On Sep 21, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> > SQL RDBMS engines are horrible when it comes to security. Just down
> > right horrible. They  use literal identifiers for their objects,
> > they are utterly challenged by semantics
>

> Does anything in the SW stack provide any more semantics than flat
> files, RDBMSs or inverted list structures.
>

> In the context of legacy portfolios (collections of applications), one
> of the great challenges is tracking down what is the same & what is
> different.  Obviously just because the label is the same does not say
> the thingys are the same & just because the labels are different does
> not say they're different.    (01)

I gather, from some comments made by John Sowa on this list, that his
company provides software that does this sort of thing (tracking down
what is the same &c. in software artifacts).    (02)

> Example (as before)... how do I know that M0760 and MSTR-MENSA-FL are
> actually the same thing?  And just within this single file there are
> approximately 1,700 such labels.    (03)

I can't answer the epistemological question, but once you have
established the fact you could write it down using the SKOS vocabulary,
or some other terms in RDF. Then you can use your collections of facts
to do useful stuff (documentation, quality control, etc.)    (04)

> Does the SW stack address that Gordian Knot?    (05)

I responded to the same question from you a few months ago.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2013-07/msg00102.html    (06)

Regards,
--Paul    (07)