Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:41:04 -0400
On 9/20/13 2:25 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 9/20/2013 11:24 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> A silo to me is an enclave on a network that's fire-walled by way of
>> proprietary standards re., data access i.e., an impediment to data flow.
> That's also true of modules for which there are very good reasons
> for not sharing certain kinds of data.    (01)

Yes, but I am also including the fact that "good reasons" and "open data
access" aren't mutually incompatible. Data Access policies driven by
entity relationships and relation semantics are also part of this deal.    (02)

> In fact, just look at Tim B-L's DAML proposal of Feb 2000.  He itemized
> several reasons why methods for limiting access to certain kinds of data
> are needed.    (03)

Yes, and I (and others) have been working with him on the read-write Web
(RWW) front which is all about attending to challenges addressed data
access policies and acls that are driven by logic that's an integral
part of the data representation [1][2]    (04)

>   That's just one of many requirements in the DAML proposal
> that the DAML project ignored.    (05)

That we are resurrecting via the RWW effort :-)

> General principle:  We need better methods for sharing what should be
> shared and restricting what should be restricted.    (06)

Amen!    (07)

Links:    (08)

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl -- Webby resource access
controls (applies to public and private Hyperdata / Linked Data webs)
[2] http://bit.ly/14wIjhl -- ACL and RWW exercise note that includes
live demos
[3] http://bit.ly/13ZMWJs -- Dogfood Exercise post I made on the LOD
mailing list .    (09)