Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:48:50 -0400
Kingsley -

On Sep 19, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

I just stumbled across a presentation [1][2] on slideshare that's quite relevant to this conversation.

Motivated me to Google "video phone"... first shown in mid 1930s, 80 years ago.

An artistically talented team can say anything they want to.  No boundaries.  Not limited to reality.  Not limited to the organizational politics & minefields.

I can easily put up a PowerPoint that says 2 + 2 = 5 and someone's going to say "Awesome!"  It's also nonsense.

I think of data as akin to this "equation" (not sure if it's actually true, but there's enough substance to embrace the story)... to double the speed of an airplane below the speed of sound, you need to square the horsepower.  To double the speed above the speed of sound you need to cube the horsepower.

With data, the faster we move, the more there is, the more difficult it becomes to actually make sense of the data.

Since most organizations are still struggling with good data management practices, what's the point in combining all this dross?

When you link data, do you perform data profiling on every data element?  I suspect not.  So you just assume that "42" from Source A means the same as "42" from Source Z?

How is the tremendous volume of data actually vetted?

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

781-455-0949

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx