Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:35:44 -0400
Kingsley -

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

Three questions to ask everyone on staff:

- have you ever lost/not been able to find when needed a file or folder?

- how much training do you have as a catalog librarian?

- how would you like to stand up in front of your peers & explain your folder/file system?

Just because people are dimly aware folder/files are important doesn't mean they do a good job of managing them.

All of these problems are handled by incorporating the architecture of the World Wide Web into File and Data Management.

Interesting... I must have missed this breakthrough over the past 20 years.

I would argue that since most individuals (in their computers) and organizations are so chaotic, it is very difficult to find what already exists... so we just make another one & another one & another one, ad nauseam.

Search is only marginally useful since if I'm familiar with Postal Code but my personal wet-ware ontology is not familiar with the Zip Code concept, I'm simply not going to look for Zip Code.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx