Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:25:48 -0400
Kingsley -

On Sep 18, 2013, at 6:08 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

Spaghetti code and its exponential costs (maintenance and mirage-like-upgrades) are the perennial nightmare of any executive overseeing IT investments.

Agreed.

So why don't these outfits (I think in terms of Fortune 350) DO something about lowering their data costs?  Going to Big Data is going to make data issues better?  I think not.

It's not like this is rocket science.

[Actually that's an inside joke... because the front office was rocket science & the back office wasn't rocket science, the back office was a mess.  Something I remember from 23 years back... very small firm, 5,000 people.  In an attempt to look at possibly cleaning up their back office they'd found 10 production JCL libraries & 72 production source libraries.  If this is how they "managed" their systems resources, I can only imagine how they managed the actual data.  Luckily we didn't get the work.  I'm sure, of course, the advent of LUW has made stories like this ancient history.]

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

781-455-0949

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx