Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:08:56 -0400
On 9/18/13 5:33 PM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On Sep 18, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

- senior management can assign responsibility (single neck to wring)

No, not a justification in my eyes at all.

But you're not the guy with the check-book.

Really? :-)

If a senior business executive is contemplating a $50,000,000 or $100,000,000 bet they want to have available exits.

Plus, that executive likely is not going to devote a nano-second of thought to data interoperability issues.

I don't believe that's the norm i.e., I don't believe executives are in the business of escalating costs (directly and indirectly). Of course, this can happen inadvertently, based on knowledge deficiency etc..

If you can point to contrary evidence, please bring it to the table.

I've been a CEO for 20+ years. I've also consulted on many data integration projects. When the issues are explained and understood, I am yet to have met an executive that would insist on incurring the costs associated with data silos.

Spaghetti code and its exponential costs (maintenance and mirage-like-upgrades) are the perennial nightmare of any executive overseeing IT investments.

Kingsley

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx