Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:36:40 -0400
On 9/22/13 11:03 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Kingsley and Paul,
>
> The differences in our attitude towards the SW stack result from
> what we're comparing it to.
>
> KI
>> Of course, RDF isn't the end of the story, but it's better than
>> what exists right now -- bearing in mind its proximity to other
>> aspects of the Web technology stack.
> I'm not comparing RDF to what exists now.  I'm comparing the entire
> SW stack with what was available for a free download in 2000, when
> Tim B-L wrote the DAML proposal.    (01)

Okay.    (02)

> In that proposal, Tim cited many of the AI tools, any or all of
> which could have been added to or adapted to the SW stack by ASMOP
> (A Simple Matter Of Programming).    (03)

Bridging should have been given more emphasis in the final output. Not
attending to bridges laid the foundation for some of today's issues with
perception i.e., provincial nature of the early semantic web stack.    (04)

> KI
>> The W3C (as far as I know) has no proposal covering how you secure
>> databases.   What they do have (that I know about) are specs for
>> structured data representation that includes the ability express
>> and embed entity oriented semantics using the RDF data model.
> If you're satisfied with specs, you should be ecstatic about the
> implementations of deductive databases going back to the 1970s.
> Among them are logic-programming systems combined with RDBs.
> Prolog was the first and still the most widely used.    (05)

Yes, I've expressed those sentiments in posts in the past [1] .    (06)

> In fact, Prolog became an ISO standard in 2002, and excellent
> open-source versions were available for free download.  All the
> ASMOP needed to include the SW stack has been done.  For example,
>
>   From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWI-Prolog
>> SWI-Prolog is an open source implementation of the programming language
>> Prolog, commonly used for teaching and semantic web applications. It has
>> a rich set of features, libraries for constraint logic programming,
>> multithreading, unit testing, GUI, interfacing to Java, ODBC and others,
>> literate programming, a web server, SGML, RDF, RDFS, developer tools
>> (including an IDE with a GUI debugger and GUI profiler), and extensive
>> documentation.
>>
>> SWI-Prolog has been under continuous development since 1987.   It runs
>> on Unix, Windows, Macintosh and Linux platforms...
>>
>> JPL is a bidirectional interface between Java and Prolog. It requires
>> both SWI-Prolog and Java SDK.  It is installed as a part of SWI-Prolog.
> When Ted Codd first saw Prolog, his immediate reaction was "I wish I
> had invented that."  But Prolog can and does support the SW notations
> and E-R designs just as easily as it supports RDBs.
>
> KI
>> I am sure you know that only a minority of [financial] institutions haven't
>> at some time over the last 10 or so years been associated with a data breach.
> Two points:  (1) the breaches got into the system through the WWW, not
> through the RDB; (2) that minority used appropriate "silos" to protect
> their data.    (07)

They get in via WANs (get in via route and scan known RDBMS ports) and
LANs (external computer comes into LAN via a visitors network that
locates DHCP server and gets an IP address; once connected the known
ports of RDBMS are scanned) .    (08)

Once you are on a network with an RDBMS listening at its known port, you
hook on to ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, OLE-DB for your CLI level connection.    (09)

All of the above happens modulo HTTP hooks into the data access APIs
listed above.    (010)

RDBMS engines are simply too primitive (by default) to protect access to
the data they store. They need a logical firewall to tighten up security.    (011)

> KI
>> These databases need firewalls around them that are based on entity
>> oriented semantics. The kind of semantics expressible using RDF.
> Three more points:  (1) a firewall is a good kind of silo; (2) Prolog
> includes RDF as a subset; (3) Prolog can easily support E-R designs.    (012)

They need to be conditionally silo-ed i.e., subject to data access
policies endowed with entity oriented relation semantics.
> John    (013)

--     (014)

Regards,    (015)

Kingsley Idehen