Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:02:55 -0400
On 9/22/13 9:16 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 9/22/2013 8:36 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> RDBMS engines are simply too primitive (by default) to protect access to
>> the data they store. They need a logical firewall to tighten up security.
> I'm not going to defend the RDBMS engines or the SQL standard.  I
> partly blame Ted Codd for not paying more attention to the way the
> gang down the hall was designing SQL.  I also blame the CIA for
> adopting an early version of SQL (as specified in the IBM Journal
> of R & D) and sending out a BAA for somebody to implement it.
> Oracle bid for it.  IBM didn't.
>
> Two points I will defend:  a clean logical foundation, and appropriate
> locking methods to ensure data integrity during updates.    (01)

Yes, that's where SQL RDBMS technology is very strong relative to
alternatives.

> Despite its quirks, the SQL WHERE clause supports full FOL.    (02)

Yes, but it doesn't get you round the issue of scalable ad-hoc queries
that exploit entity relationship semantics.    (03)

>    SPARQL
> doesn't.    (04)

It does address the problem of ad-hoc querying that leverages entity
relationship semantics.    (05)

>   For data integrity, you need some kind of "silo" to ensure
> that the DB constraints are preserved during updates.    (06)

We are diverging in our perception of "silo" since even a pure OLTP
RDBMS still benefits from being able to leverage entity relationship
semantics as part of integrity constraints apparatus. Theses systems
still have to be able to handle social-engineering challenges which are
best solved by evaluation of relation semantics.    (07)

Where we ultimately converge is this: the combination of existing SQL
RDBMS technology and more recent SPARQL innovations enable the
development of hybrid DBMS solutions that offer the best of both worlds.    (08)

Links:    (09)

[1] http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/SPASQL%20Queries/
-- folder where (overtime) I will periodically drop SPASQL (SPARQL
inside SQL query examples)
[2]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/SPASQL%20Queries/email_lookup_and_case_when.sql    (010)

-- first example .    (011)