Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:19:28 -0400
On 9/10/13 10:15 AM, David Eddy wrote:

>> when data representation formats determine the existence of non
>> existence of semantics.    (01)

There's a horrible typo in the sentence above. I meant to say:    (02)

when data representation formats determine the existence *or* non
existence of semantics.    (03)

> I've had "discussions" over Zip Code & Postal code... many people
> would claim they are different. I argue that within the context of a
> business & its mail room they're actually pretty much the "same"—kinda
> like?, sorta like?, almost like?, very similar to?—thing... rather
> like how water & ice are the "same." Same thing... different form.    (04)

The are the same concept. They solve the same problem. Their differences
are purely aesthetic, as is always the case when we leave semantics to
literals (solely) rather than a mix of literals references identifier
types :-)

> But obviously from the viewpoint of the DBA trying to keep databases
> running, there's a different story.
>

>> my reference to conflating RDF/XML and Semantics.
>
> As long as I'm not in CSAIL, I typically offer that the dirty little
> secret of the SW is there's no Semantics.    (05)

There are semantics, its the granularity and applicability of said
semantics that isn't always clear enough i.e., we always have to accept
that there's a "horses for courses" (aka. context) aspect to everything
we deal with, as cognitive beings.

> Actually caught TBL lowering the "semantics" marketing flag in an IAP
> class & admitting the SW is really about LOD... leaving, as always the
> semantics to be invisibly implicit.    (06)

He is focusing on Linked Open Data which is critical foundation that was
missing first time around re., Semantic Web narratives and focus etc..    (07)

> Ready & waiting to be interpreted differently by the next person who
> opens the crypt.    (08)

Regards,    (010)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO