Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:09:14 -0700

On Sep 10, 2013, at 4:22 AM, David Eddy wrote:    (01)

> John -
>
> On Sep 10, 2013, at 2:28 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>
>> The most widely used languages are the ones that actually do something
>> useful -- especially ones that somebody is willing to pay somebody else
>> to do something useful with.
>
> Totally true.
>
> Obviously there's a very long tail in this equation.
>
> The lack of management oversight over the years also means all sorts of weird
>stuff has found its way into the production stack.
>

> My crude rule-of-thumb for an IBM mainframe production application would have
>a minimum of 6 languages in a single application:
>
> Languages used in the last application I had my hands on:
>
> - COBOL
> - Assembler
> - CICS
> - JCL
> - IMS (how many sub languages in & around a 40 year-old IMS application?)
> - ETC (an HTML-like document composition language from Applied Data Research)
> - ??? report writer.
>

> How many languages are there in a SW application?  RDF, OWL, SPARQL, ???    (02)

RDF is a family of languages, often very dissimilar at the surface level, such
as N-triples and RDF/XML. These days, Trig is more used than either, I think.
If you include programming languages, add in JSON, Ruby, Javascript, Python.
If you count it as a language, add XML. Often one has to get involved with HTML
and XHTML and CSS, and GRDDL and/or RDFa.  Many SWeb applications don't
actually use OWL. Some of them use RIF and others use Prolog. Big data often
involves dealing with Hadoop or similar architectures.     (03)

Pat    (04)

> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
>
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)