Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:33:23 -0400
On 9/11/2013 10:48 PM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> If you consider RDBMSs legacy systems, then we have the W3C RDB2RDF
> standards: Direct Mapping and R2RML, to bridge RDBMSs with the Semantic Web    (01)

Points to remember:    (02)

  1. RDBMSes are definitely *not* legacy systems.  They run the world
     economy today, and they'll continue running it for another 40 years.    (03)

  2. RDB2RDF and Direct Mapping are throwbacks to ancient times of batch
     processing, and they only go in one direction.  They do *nothing*
     for interoperability.  In fact, they are *worse* than nothing,
     because they create an *illusion* of usefulness.    (04)

  3. The term NoSQL originally meant "no" as in "not exists".  But it
     quickly became an acronym for "Not only SQL".  Some of the most
     efficient NoSQL systems use SQL as their primary query language,
     but they implement SQL with new data structures and algorithms.    (05)

  4. The major vendors of *commercial* SQL-based and RDF-based tools have
     a far deeper and more successful understanding of interoperability:
     They support *both* SQL and SPARQL, and they enable them to run
     *concurrently* on the same data.    (06)

Fundamental requirement:  Equal support for SQL and SPARQL.    (07)

Recommendation:  Adopt Datalog (or a typed version of Datalog) as
the fundamental DB language, and specify the core of *both* SQL and
SPARQL in terms of Datalog.  But each of them has idiosyncratic
additions; they must be supported, but they should be deprecated.    (08)

For further discussion of the issues, see the following article by
Michael Stonebraker in the Communications of the ACM:    (09)

http://www.labouseur.com/courses/db/Stonebraker-on-NoSQL-2011.pdf    (010)

The db directory of this website also contains other downloads that
address related topics:    (011)

http://www.labouseur.com/courses/db/    (012)