Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:37:01 -0400
On 9/13/13 4:23 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
Hello Ed,

I agree wholeheartedly. RDF and SPARQL make data integration easier (without
solving the fundamental issues of course).

What is the fundamental issue, as you see it?

I see the fundamental issue (or pain point) being data-de-silo-fication.

DBMS products weren't historically built to co-exist. They were built to compete against each other on the basis of core DBMS features (for which interop is an afterthought).

 But they are a bad option for data
storage because maintaining consistency is so difficult (think about deleting
a row or transactions).

I don't know what that really means. I say that because we simply don't have that problem in our hybrid DBMS.

There should be a big warning sign above the SPARQL
UPDATE standard for those who think relational databases are legacy. But I
think nobody in the Semantic Web video or on this list actually said that ?

I don't thing SQL RDBMS technology is legacy. At the same time, I don't think that are at the apex of the value pyramid circa. 2013 where our main challenge is access, integration, and management of disparate data.

A fast silo is still a silo. We need to deal with data-de-silo-fication .

Kingsley

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer