Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:22:58 -0400
John -

On Sep 10, 2013, at 2:28 AM, John F Sowa wrote:

The most widely used languages are the ones that actually do something
useful -- especially ones that somebody is willing to pay somebody else
to do something useful with.

Totally true.

Obviously there's a very long tail in this equation.

The lack of management oversight over the years also means all sorts of weird stuff has found its way into the production stack.

My crude rule-of-thumb for an IBM mainframe production application would have a minimum of 6 languages in a single application:

Languages used in the last application I had my hands on:

- COBOL
- Assembler
- CICS
- JCL
- IMS (how many sub languages in & around a 40 year-old IMS application?)
- ETC (an HTML-like document composition language from Applied Data Research)
- ??? report writer.

How many languages are there in a SW application?  RDF, OWL, SPARQL, ???

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx