Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 21:41:15 -0400
Peter,    (01)

As I said before, Thursdays are usually bad for me.  So I won't be
able to call in on Thursdays, without special arrangements.    (02)

But I would like to propose a session on issues that Tim B-L
emphasized in the DAML proposal in Feb 2000, which were completely
ignored in the DAML final report of 2005:    (03)

    Diversity, Heterogeneity, and Interoperability    (04)

Among the diverse and heterogeneous systems are all the ones
that support the world economy:  Legacy Systems.    (05)

Legacy systems are mission critical, and their lifetimes are
typically 40 years or more.  The WWW was a huge success because
it enabled legacy systems with green screens to migrate to the
WWW through a browser interface.  After the first five years,
the WWW was growing exponentially, and it still is.    (06)

By excluding legacy systems, the DAML project relegated the SW
to a tiny niche market.  After 13 years since Tim's proposal,
the SW is not even on the radar screen of mainstream IT.    (07)

Unless we address the issues of interoperability with diverse,
heterogeneous systems -- especially legacy systems -- all these
elegant logics and ontologies are one more drop down the niche.    (08)