Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:38:38 -0400
On 25/07/2013 9:27 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
On 7/25/13 9:03 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
The problem of Boeing trying to find out "What do we know about lithium
batteries overheating?" is very similar to you and I wanting to know
"What are the ways to cook quinoa?"
The information needed could be anywhere in many different formats.
Ontologies may play a minor role but the big technological breakthroughs
are coming in other places.
Like?

Watson
Google

You need an Ontology and Linked Data to solve these kinds of problems. Same applies to the privacy issues associated with PRISM [1] and TEMPORA [2] .

The Semantic Web technology stack suffers from a cocktail comprised of:

1. poor narratives -- RDF zealotry dominates narratives while defensible terminology and technology genealogy are for heretics!

2. rote learning and recitals of mantras (a variation of point 1) -- simple challenges to viewpoints  tend to end up in the "TimBL said so" or "W3C said so" bucket

3. participant profile homogeneity -- there is an imbalance between academia and industry i.e., to many from academia

The discussions here certainly show that!!! Bill Clinton is the only one who seemed to have the kind of trouble with "is" that would fit here. Donald Rumsfeld's clear discussion about "unknowns" would have triggered a week's argument in this forum.
4. tool profile homogeneity -- a majority of tools are aimed at so-called "Semantic Web Programmers" (as subClassOf "Web Programmer) rather than also catering to the needs of end-users, integrators, systems analysts, architects, domain experts etc.

For sure!
5. dog-fooding is a rarity -- as in point 2 above, there is typically little to show relative to all the papers and presentations that many (outside the Semantic Web community) perceive as "chest pounding" without practical and demonstrable substance.

Data Virtualization without compromising individual privacy is the big elephant in the room. Technologies associated with "the Semantic Web" stack are mighty useful re. addressing this fundamental challenge that's been compounded by the Web 2.0 phenomena.

When you get beyond the challenge outlined above, you also have to deal with drill-downs across virtualized data (i.e. semantically enhanced views over heterogeneous data sources) which is where Boeing troubles are a very good example. Basically, the Who, What, Where, When, and deductible Why of the problem they are having with batteries etc..

I wonder if Boeing has a tool that does all the wonderful things that I suggested?
Certainly a Google-like tool that can find all the references and suggest an order of relevance to your needs as expressed in your question, would be a big help.

Links:

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=prism+privacy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 -- PRISM
[2] http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=10_6_8&q=tempora+privacy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 -- TEMPORA.

Ron Wheeler