Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:03:31 -0400
On 25/07/2013 8:47 AM, Paul Tyson wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 02:43 -0400, John F Sowa wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Making money from advertising is just one part of the way businesses
>> use the WWW.  Google happens to get most of their revenue from
>> advertising, but they are getting an increasing percentage of their
>> revenue from computer services.  Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and Amazon
>> get zero revenue from advertising.
>>
>> Amazon started as a bookseller and then became a major retail vendor
>> of almost anything.  They don't make make money from advertising.
>> They make money from selling things.  In the process, they pioneered
>> new ways of using the WWW, new ways of storage and shipping, and
>> new ways of keeping track of customers, suppliers, and methods
>> of distributing goods around the world.
>>
>> As a result of that activity, they developed new computer software
>> for their own purposes, and they found that they could make a
>> profit by selling computer services to other companies (and to
>> governments agencies) around the world.  As the article I cited
>> indicated, they now make more money by selling computer services.
>>
>>> So, just what is it you think we (as individuals and enterprises) can
>>> learn from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, etc. about taking control of
>>> our own information resources and designing our information management
>>> systems to "augment our intellect" (as Doug Engelbart would put it) to
>>> meet the many real needs of humanity (as opposed to the ephemera of
>>> social networking and consumerism)?
>> All those companies have huge R & D resources.  I worked at IBM for 30
>> years, and I'm very familiar with their large expenditures for R & D.
>> In almost every area of computer science, researchers at IBM either
>> made pioneering innovations or were at the cutting edge of developing
>> the technology.  The IBM patent portfolio is enormous.
>>
>> Google might make a lot from advertising, but they also have huge
>> research departments at the forefront of many areas of comp. sci.
>> Just look at the Google glasses and Google cars.  They also
>> developed WWW technology such as AJAX, which grew very rapidly
>> as soon as people saw how it was used in Google Maps.  Among
>> other things, they developed the Android operating system,
>> which runs the majority of smart phones in the world.
>>
>> As examples of cutting-edge applications, IBM Research developed
>> the Deep Blue chess system, which beat the world champion.  More
>> recently, they developed the Watson system for playing Jeopardy!,
>> which beat the two top winners in that game.  They are now using
>> the Watson system for medical informatics.
>>
>> I realize that there are many intelligent people who work with the
>> W3C.  But they don't have anywhere near the resources of the R & D
>> centers at Google, IBM, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon.  When all five
>> of those research centers fail to adopt the products of the DAML
>> project for their R & D, that is an indication that they did not
>> find them useful.
> [...]

They teach them how to find the relevant information from the millions
of documents that they have in their e-mail systems, correspondence
libraries, technical papers, etc. and in the hundreds of databases and
application systems.    (02)

The problem of Boeing trying to find out "What do we know about lithium
batteries overheating?" is very similar to you and I wanting to know
"What are the ways to cook quinoa?"
The information needed could be anywhere in many different formats.
Ontologies may play a minor role but the big technological breakthroughs
are coming in other places.    (03)

I am a tiny organization and use Google a lot in customer support and in
learning about my customers and potential customers.    (04)

Most of the information that companies need is not in well organized
systems and will never get there.    (05)

Ron    (06)

--
Ron Wheeler
President