Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 02:43:18 -0400
Paul,    (01)

Making money from advertising is just one part of the way businesses
use the WWW.  Google happens to get most of their revenue from
advertising, but they are getting an increasing percentage of their
revenue from computer services.  Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and Amazon
get zero revenue from advertising.    (02)

Amazon started as a bookseller and then became a major retail vendor
of almost anything.  They don't make make money from advertising.
They make money from selling things.  In the process, they pioneered
new ways of using the WWW, new ways of storage and shipping, and
new ways of keeping track of customers, suppliers, and methods
of distributing goods around the world.    (03)

As a result of that activity, they developed new computer software
for their own purposes, and they found that they could make a
profit by selling computer services to other companies (and to
governments agencies) around the world.  As the article I cited
indicated, they now make more money by selling computer services.    (04)

> So, just what is it you think we (as individuals and enterprises) can
> learn from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, etc. about taking control of
> our own information resources and designing our information management
> systems to "augment our intellect" (as Doug Engelbart would put it) to
> meet the many real needs of humanity (as opposed to the ephemera of
> social networking and consumerism)?    (05)

All those companies have huge R & D resources.  I worked at IBM for 30
years, and I'm very familiar with their large expenditures for R & D.
In almost every area of computer science, researchers at IBM either
made pioneering innovations or were at the cutting edge of developing
the technology.  The IBM patent portfolio is enormous.    (06)

Google might make a lot from advertising, but they also have huge
research departments at the forefront of many areas of comp. sci.
Just look at the Google glasses and Google cars.  They also
developed WWW technology such as AJAX, which grew very rapidly
as soon as people saw how it was used in Google Maps.  Among
other things, they developed the Android operating system,
which runs the majority of smart phones in the world.    (07)

As examples of cutting-edge applications, IBM Research developed
the Deep Blue chess system, which beat the world champion.  More
recently, they developed the Watson system for playing Jeopardy!,
which beat the two top winners in that game.  They are now using
the Watson system for medical informatics.    (08)

I realize that there are many intelligent people who work with the
W3C.  But they don't have anywhere near the resources of the R & D
centers at Google, IBM, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon.  When all five
of those research centers fail to adopt the products of the DAML
project for their R & D, that is an indication that they did not
find them useful.    (09)