Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John McClure" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:37:23 -0800
>When all five
>of those research centers fail to adopt the products of the DAML
>project for their R & D, that is an indication that they did not
>find them useful.    (01)

Well, in part because it's hard to monetize open source. But fortunately by
their technologies do we know them: they're all seemingly quite wedded to
the DAML/RDF protocol layer and to SPARQL and to triples or quads databases,
as flagship products. I don't think these are just hedges. In fact, the
changing balance between product/services I'd think is mostly traceable to
new mountains of NSA cash flooding the market last several years ...
contractors are administering the NSA servers in these idyllic, pre-yotta
byte days... and, as we know by scanning online programmer sites, they're
not cheap either <smirk/>.    (02)

"What the NSA can't do now, it will certainly be able to do in a half
decade."
-
http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/the-nsas-massive-utah-data-center-wont-stor
e-anything-close-to-yottabytes-of-data/    (03)