Re: [ontolog-forum] Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for t

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:12:01 -0400
On 7/25/13 12:23 PM, Alexander Garcia Castro wrote:
> "ontologies/controlled vocabularies are
> expensive I dont want to end up in there, is this a must?    (01)

No, and this is one of the biggest misconceptions swirling around "the
Semantic Web" narratives. It for this reason that whenever I make Turtle
Notation based examples (e.g., [1][2][3][4] ) I stay clear of:    (02)

1. prefixes
2. shared vocabularies.    (03)

I've told many an audience that the best way to get going is describe
the world as you see it using your own terms. The only constant is the
relationship structure (when its based on EAV/SPO triples) and the
relation semantics facilitated by predicates. Once the basic description
has been created, for the sake of interoperability and/or additional
semantic clarity, cross reference your terms with those described by
shared vocabularies and ontologies.    (04)

Sadly, I come to find that even what's outlined above is contentious to
many in "the Semantic Web" community. Basically, we end up with this
horrible misconception that without a perfect vocabulary or ontology you
can't even start the journey :-(    (05)

Links:    (06)

[1]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/Linked%20Data%20Documents/SimpleCoReferenceExample.txt    (07)

-- HTTP URI that denotes a Document (content-type: plain/text) comprised
of the Turtle Notation based content above    (08)

[2]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/Linked%20Data%20Documents/SimpleCoReferenceExample.ttl    (09)

-- HTTP URI that denotes a Document (content-type: text/turtle)
comprised of the Turtle Notation based content above    (010)

[3]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/Linked%20Data%20Documents/SimpleCoReferenceExample.txt    (011)

-- basic Linked Data Browser View (HTML page that enables exploration of
the entity relationships expressed in the document)    (012)

[4]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkingsley.idehen.net%2FDAV%2Fhome%2Fkidehen%2FPublic%2FLinked%2520Data%2520Documents%2FSimpleCoReferenceExample.txt    (013)

-- Linked Data Browser View (HTML page that enables *deep* exploration
of the entity relationships expressed in the document) .    (014)

--     (015)

Regards,    (016)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO