Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:48:09 +0100

Hello Kingsley,    (01)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 04:05:23PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> When I speak of super keys I am referring to dbms, operating system, and
> application agnostic foreign keys. These keys resolve to descriptors
> that describe of their referents. The descriptors are viewable via your
> browser. You can use said keys to share data with anyone that has access
> to a browser.    (02)

The follow your nose feature of LOD is the one you are mentioning most often
in your visionary enthusiasm and this is what irritates me. IMO, this is the
feature that has been exploited least so far. In the applications I have seen,
a human has made sense of a limited number of properties and classes from a
small or big number of data sources and wrote code that implicitly contains
this knowledge.     (03)

Of course, follow your nose is of some help for an aggregator but can you
show me a useful semantic web application that uses follow your nose and is
not a crawler or semantic web browser ?     (04)

I am all for people putting their data online and RDF is a wonderful data
exchange format but breaking all silos and throwing everything together means
ignoring context (another aspect of a silo, see Hans Polzers mail). However -
I appreciate your effort to make a big part of LOD searchable with the LOD
cache - this effort is important.    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer