Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:37:54 -0500
On 2/2/13 3:29 PM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 02:56:11PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> The follow-your-nose pattern is how everyone uses the Web today. What do
>> you do with a hyperlink that you encounter in a Web page? You either
>> follow it or move on, subject to curiosity and relevance factor.
> So that the links can immediately be followed is a feature for the humans
> and not for the machines ?    (01)

Yes, human curiosity is what makes us follow links in Web pages today.
No different to cues we follow in other realms.    (02)

> You think that the semantic web browser is the
> killer app of the semantic web ?    (03)

No.    (04)

The Web is what matters, the Semantics have more to do with what's
discernible to humans and machines from the content exposed by hyperlinks.    (05)

>   I already doubted that in another discussion
> with you. The old fashioned web is much more suitable for humans than the
> data web, IMO.    (06)

Again, what matters is the Web. The Semantic Web vision is simply all
about granularity and the power of logic. There was a time when the very
utility of today's Web was doubted. The same is playing out right now in
your comments. Thus, all I can say to you (seriously) is what and see.

>> Yes, but you will only appreciate this point if you put Semantic Web
>> hype aside and return back to the basic pattern of Web exploitation via
>> HTML pages. In addition, what purpose does a foreign key serve in an
>> RDBMS? You can't appreciate that and then question the utility of
>> hyperlink based super keys, you just can't do that.
> I can. Replace the dereferencable URI with a non dereferencable GUID.    (07)

Okay, on that point, if your claim is serious we have a point of serious
disagreement. For starters de-referencable URIs are the very essence of
the Web. You don't have any kind of Web with platform specific GUIDs.    (08)

Please remember, the Web as it is, modulo anything to do with the
Semantic Web vision, already demonstrates the power of hyperlink based
super keys that denote data sources.
> I still have a foreign key, the semantic web browser does not work any more
> but what other semantic web application of today ceases to work ?
>
>> When it comes to the silo futility issue, the World Wide Web of HTML
>> based content already demonstrates my fundamental point :-)
> The World Wide Web was built for humans, who can understand context and
> meaning.    (09)

If that dimension of the Web works for you then good, stay with it. That
will not stop others exploiting other dimensions. People will choose
what works best for them, typically, in response to palpable opportunity
costs.    (010)

If your perception of the coarse-grained Web as some kind of nirvana was
true, then why is that dimension already creaking under the weight of:    (011)

1. verifiable identity .
2. privacy.
3. security.    (012)

How come humans haven't been able to deal with those issues so effectively?    (013)

> The Semantic Web was built for humans too, but with machines as
> intermediaries. I dare to claim that follow your nose is of limited use for
> machines.    (014)

I never said it was.

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer