[ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew Kaufman <mkfmncom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 07:28:03 +0000
"Super Keys are the name of the game here. That's what the Web delivers at Internet-scale."

Awesome quote ^, Kingsley ....

On Saturday, February 2, 2013, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
On 2/2/13 12:48 PM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
Hello Kingsley,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 04:05:23PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
When I speak of super keys I am referring to dbms, operating system, and
application agnostic foreign keys. These keys resolve to descriptors
that describe of their referents. The descriptors are viewable via your
browser. You can use said keys to share data with anyone that has access
to a browser.
The follow your nose feature of LOD is the one you are mentioning most often
in your visionary enthusiasm and this is what irritates me.

The follow-your-nose pattern is how everyone uses the Web today. What do you do with a hyperlink that you encounter in a Web page? You either follow it or move on, subject to curiosity and relevance factor.

  IMO, this is the
feature that has been exploited least so far. In the applications I have seen,
a human has made sense of a limited number of properties and classes from a
small or big number of data sources and wrote code that implicitly contains
this knowledge.

What you don't seem to realize is that the Web is just a contemporary vehicle for what people have done naturally with computers since the advent of computing, and by that I include non silicon based computing.

Of course, follow your nose is of some help for an aggregator but can you
show me a useful semantic web application that uses follow your nose and is
not a crawler or semantic web browser ?

Yes, but you will only appreciate this point if you put Semantic Web hype aside and return back to the basic pattern of Web exploitation via HTML pages. In addition, what purpose does a foreign key serve in an RDBMS? You can't appreciate that and then question the utility of hyperlink based super keys, you just can't do that.

Super Keys are the name of the game here. That's what the Web delivers at Internet-scale.

I am all for people putting their data online and RDF is a wonderful data
exchange format but breaking all silos and throwing everything together means
ignoring context (another aspect of a silo, see Hans Polzers mail). However -
I appreciate your effort to make a big part of LOD searchable with the LOD
cache - this effort is important.

The problem is that somehow, which is always the case with hype, the Semantic Web Project was seen as a "silver bullet". The only thing that's demonstrably close to a "silver bullet" is the World Wide Web itself.

When it comes to the silo futility issue, the World Wide Web of HTML based content already demonstrates my fundamental point :-)

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--

Regards,