Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:29:29 +0100

Hello Kingsley,    (01)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 02:56:11PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> The follow-your-nose pattern is how everyone uses the Web today. What do
> you do with a hyperlink that you encounter in a Web page? You either
> follow it or move on, subject to curiosity and relevance factor.    (02)

So that the links can immediately be followed is a feature for the humans
and not for the machines ? You think that the semantic web browser is the
killer app of the semantic web ? I already doubted that in another discussion
with you. The old fashioned web is much more suitable for humans than the
data web, IMO.    (03)

> Yes, but you will only appreciate this point if you put Semantic Web
> hype aside and return back to the basic pattern of Web exploitation via
> HTML pages. In addition, what purpose does a foreign key serve in an
> RDBMS? You can't appreciate that and then question the utility of
> hyperlink based super keys, you just can't do that.    (04)

I can. Replace the dereferencable URI with a non dereferencable GUID.
I still have a foreign key, the semantic web browser does not work any more
but what other semantic web application of today ceases to work ?    (05)

> When it comes to the silo futility issue, the World Wide Web of HTML
> based content already demonstrates my fundamental point :-)    (06)

The World Wide Web was built for humans, who can understand context and
meaning. The Semantic Web was built for humans too, but with machines as
intermediaries. I dare to claim that follow your nose is of limited use for
machines.    (07)

Regards,    (08)

Michael Brunnbauer    (09)

--