Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 16:05:23 -0500
On 2/1/13 10:16 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:43:31AM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Google, Bing, and others are silos. I am in the business of silo-busting
>> via Web architecture and open standards.
>>   I am most interested in a
>> global distributed database (offering equal billing to extensional and
>> intensional functionality) where hyperlinks are super keys that resolve
>> to entity relationship graphs endowed with machine and human
>> comprehensible entity relationship semantics.
> A database that can only be explored via cryptic primary keys is of limited
> use - even if the entities are connected via those keys.    (01)

An today you are using DBMS engines with what kinds of keys? Can you
reference a record in Oracle from DB2?    (02)

When I speak of super keys I am referring to dbms, operating system, and
application agnostic foreign keys. These keys resolve to descriptors
that describe of their referents. The descriptors are viewable via your
browser. You can use said keys to share data with anyone that has access
to a browser.    (03)

Examples:    (04)

1. http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data -- a hyperlink based super key
2.
http://dbpedia.org/resource/describe/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data    (05)

-- an URL that resolves to a descriptor document endowed with faceted
navigation capability.    (06)

Look at the footer or #2 it exposes the same data in a myriad of
formats. You can even use the CSV URL to directly import data into
Google Spreadsheet, Excel, or Open Office.    (07)

>   This is the reason
> Google has been so successful.    (08)

You are missing the point. Google being successful doesn't mean others
are unsuccessful. Google is currently focused on an aspect of the Web
i.e., its Information Space dimension. I and others in the Linked Data
realm are interested in the Web's Data Space dimension.    (09)

>   The reason that Google is still very successful
> is that they are doing such a good job that a buch of geeks with distributed
> hash tables is not able to beat them. One of the problems those geeks are
> facing is fighting spam in a distributed environment.    (010)

An Spam is one of the problems that Linked Data addresses with aplomb,
once the noise settles this will be another pain point that aids Linked
Data appreciation via the fusion of WebID, S/MIME, and PKI [1].    (011)

>   Maybe WebID has a future
> there...    (012)

Yes, as per my comment above.    (013)

Links:    (014)

1. https://plus.google.com/s/spam%20idehen%20webid%20linked%20data --
Spam, WebID, and Linked Data (example of where Google is very useful :-) )

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer
>    (015)

--     (016)