Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 11:15:48 -0500
Michael, Adrian, and Kingsley,    (01)

You have all made good points.  The message that comes through is that
nobody has yet discovered an ideal representation that covers all the
bases while supporting both legacy systems and future innovations.    (02)

There is also a question of whether any *single* representation could
ever be ideal.  I believe that Tim B-L was on the right track when
he emphasized diversity, heterogeneity, and interoperability.    (03)

I'll start with Michael's comment:    (04)

MB
> The reason that Google is still very successful is that they are
> doing such a good job that a bunch of geeks with distributed
> hash tables is not able to beat them.    (05)

I agree.  But I would add that Bing got started later, they don't
have as big a collection of documents as Google, but they are
producing comparable results.    (06)

The greatest strength of both Google and Bing is that they aren't
dedicated to a single ideology.  They do whatever works.    (07)

AW
> You wrote...
>
>> As for webifying a version of SQL, that would be fairly easy to do.
>
> In one sense that's been in operation of a number of years now.    (08)

I agree.  My major complaint about the SW is that it's dominated
by ideologues who try to force everything into a single silo.
I have no objection to anyone using RDF, SPARQL, and OWL when
they're useful.  But their advocates use the word 'webify' as
a weapon for purging anything they don't like.    (09)

Google, Bing, and other successful companies on the WWW do not
use the word 'webify'.  They do whatever works.    (010)

KI
> Google, Bing, and others are silos. I am in the business of silo-busting
> via Web architecture and open standards.    (011)

I am very strongly in favor of open standards.  Tim B-L was promoting
open standards, but he also recognized the importance of existing
open standards and practices.    (012)

The most successful web companies are more consistent with Tim's
original vision:  they support diversity, heterogeneity, and
interoperability.  That's a major reason for their success.    (013)