Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural Language based SPARQL Generator

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 17:20:18 -0500
Railing at technology or vendor-driven incompatibilities won't really
accomplish much. Even if all those issues were to be addressed/resolved, we
will still be left with silos, albeit silos that might be a bit more
translucent and porous. Nothing gets done without silos, this forum
included. You can substitute the words "focus" or "project" or "domain" or
"enterprise" or "ontology" (or any one of many similar words) for "silo".
They all imply some limited scope, with some local context and associated
frames of reference and perspectives on reality (and often alternate
realities as well). Busting silos won't work. You can only make them more
aware of other silos and more willing to work/interact with those other
silos. No one wants to expose every bit of information about themselves to
everyone else. And the degree of information that they actually are willing
to share depends on the relationship they feel they have with those who will
have access to that information. In other words, silos of varying width and
height, and varying degrees of opacity/permeability - where "silo" is
associated with the nature of the relationship; who is inside or outside the
"silo".    (01)

I actually prefer the "lava lamp" metaphor to that of the "silo" metaphor.
All such conceptual entities are more like dynamic blobs in "n-space" that
overlap with each other (like supply chains and countries vice
corporations), merge, and separate (like new specialties/domains or
corporate spin-offs/divestitures).     (02)

The key issue is how to represent the scope/permeability of a "silo" in an
"open" and "network-accessible" way so that those "cryptic" database keys
are less "cryptic" and more understandable outside the "silo", at least to
those who are viewed as meriting access to the silo's info/services based on
their relationship to the silo. Not everything will ever be understandable
or accessible to everyone on the network. Let's stop fighting to make it so
and instead start grappling with how to represent scope/frame of
reference/relationship differences among silos in an open,
network-discoverable, and relationship-driven way. By the way, WebID,
S/MIME, and PKI are all very fragmentary attempts in this direction.    (03)

Hans    (04)