Re: [ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:34:55 -0400

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Ed,
>
> How about this, with a little more clarity on my side:
>
> Sign -- URI that denotes an entity/thing .
>
> Sense -- Web Document *Content* that describes URI referent e.g., via
>structured content that takes the form of an entity-attribue-value graph where
>each attribute=value pair coalesces around a Subject URI .
>
> Reference -- Description Subject or URI Referent.
>
> Thus, when using the World Wide Web from my computing device (desktop,
> notebook, tablet, or phone) I can de-reference a URI and then use my
> screen to sense what said URI denotes.    (01)

Yes.  The (semantic) *Content* of the Resource/Document is the Sense.
(BTW, the English term "Sense" has meanings that no German would impute
to Frege's "Sinn".  Sinn is about understanding, about 'making sense'.
It is the opposite of Unsinn = Nonsense.  It has nothing to do with the
5 'senses' and what they do, which in German is called 'spueren'.
(English 'spoor' has the same root.) So what you do with your screen is
to 'obtain the Sense' of the URI, by using perception and interpretation
skills on the presented Document.)    (02)

I have argued with the SBVR folk and some RDF folk that 'structured
content' and a 'structure of meaning' are terms for Sense when they
refer to the notional intent that is built up piecewise from more
elementary intent.   That is, there is no difference in kind between the
'structural content' of an English sentence and the 'structural content'
of an RDF graph, although they involve different structures.  They are
both just ways of constructing a complex meaning from simpler meanings.
The English sentence as sound or text, and any exchange form of the RDF
graph, are expressions in languages that convey the intended meaning by
representing those structures.  The idea that in humans the nature of
meaning is really different from the structure of meaning created from
the language is a matter of hot debate, but it is irrelevant to
knowledge engineering -- we can only deal with meaning developed from
structure.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen
> Founder & CEO
> OpenLink Software
> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
>

>       (05)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (06)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (07)