Re: [ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <cassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:34:13 -0400

Identity across possible worlds does have some similarity with diachronic
identity, but not much.    (01)

For diachronic identity, there is a reasonable intuitive understanding that,
for most of the mass of "the same" physical object, there will be a continuous
path in space-time which that mass traverses. even though some parts of it may
diverge. There is also a more conventional way of defining "identity" as in the
example provided by Fritz Lehman, where the army defines a "rifle" by its stock
serial number. In that case, more than half the mass may change while the item
retains its (conventional) identity.    (02)

But for possible worlds, there is **no** continuous path to traverse, the
worlds are discontinuous; so to use the term "identity" may cause serious
misunderstanding and logical contradiction. As suggested by the referenced
article on "transworld identity"
(http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-transworld/ ... for which,
thanks!), a 'counterpart' relation rather than identity relation would be less
prone to misunderstanding.    (03)

For the case where there is a multiverse which forks for every collapse of some
entangled quantum system, there would be a different relation. The
'counterpart' entities in different universes could be traced back to the same
entity in an earlier universe, though their properties may diverge
dramatically. This would again be a different relation from 'diachronic
identity' or 'counterpart' (e.g. for fictional or hypothetical worlds)    (04)

The point (for me) is to avoid logical contradiction, and the use of an
unqualified 'identity' or 'same' relation risks misunderstanding.  Diachronic
identity is intuitively understood and relatively innocuous.  But for possible
worlds, I would avoid 'identity' completely.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
cassidy@xxxxxxxxx
908-561-3416