Re: [ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:42:34 -0500

On Jul 12, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Chris Menzel wrote:    (01)

> Right, on reflection I think the only issue here is that there are two very
>different notions of "model" in the general KR community (in which I include
>the ontology community), one coming out of mathematic logic and the other
>coming out of engineering.    (02)

And the latter sense is much more widely understood than the former, by about
three or four orders of magnitude. Which is why I avoided using the word
entirely when writing the RDF semantics specs, and used the circumlocution
"satisfying interpretation" for the logical sense of "model".    (03)

> I think Ed was talking about the latter and I responded by talking about the
>former — rather hastily, as I've in fact commented on this distinction before.
>(Indeed, sets of axioms are sometimes called models as well, so there are
>perhaps two distinct notions coming out of logic.) We can't (an arguably
>shouldn't try) to prevent people in different communities from using the word
>"model", but it would probably help to reduce confusion if those of us who are
>in, or who talk to, people in both worlds should made a habit of qualifying
>the word with, e.g., "engineering" (e.g., architectural designs), "logical"
>(sets of axioms), and "semantic" (mathematical structures that interpret
>formal languages). Or something.    (04)

See above. We don't have to use the term at all.     (05)

Pat    (06)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)