Re: [ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:56:33 -0400
On 7/13/2012 9:54 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> At its core, the whole Linked Data meme is about the application I
> outlined. It's also one that isn't RDF specific :-)    (01)

I agree.    (02)

In an earlier note, I said that Tim B-L's vision in 2000 was much
better than what has been produced for the SW:    (03)

    http://www.w3.org/2000/01/sw/DevelopmentProposal    (04)

That vision was actually pursued at MIT.  It's instructive to compare
the Haystack system, which Tim B-L mentioned in 2000, with an MIT
report about Haystack in 2004:    (05)

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/cambridge/research.nsf/0/7c679ab1fd22308b85256e6600579a8b/$FILE/TR2004-04.pdf    (06)

Note that FaceBook was launched in 2004.  There is quite a bit
of overlap between the goals of FaceBook and Haystack.    (07)

A big difference is that Haystack was a research project that used
all the W3C recommendations, it had the full backing of the W3C,
and it had access to the latest R & D at MIT.  But FaceBook was
an engineering project.  It used very simple methods for storing
and managing data, and it did not use any W3C conventions or any
R & D from MIT.    (08)

An even more important difference is that FaceBook had a clear
vision about their intended users, a simple GUI, and easy methods
for users to enter and access information.  In that sense, it was
closer to Tim's small group at CERN back in 1990.    (09)

As Fred Brooks said in _The Mythical Man Month_, "Beware the man who
is designing his second system.  Instead of the original small, clean
little system, he succumbs to the temptation to put in all the features
that he didn't have the time or funding to include in the first system."    (010)