Re: [ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:25:11 +0000
Dear Matthew and Doug,

>Dear Doug,
>> > MW: I would think a copy of a copy of a fingerprint was a copy of a
>> > copy of a fingerprint, and not the same thing.
>>
>> Yet the expert when pointing to features of a projection of a photo in
>court
>> says, "This is the fingerprint that was left on the glass.".
>>
>MW: That kind of short cut statement is made all the time when it is not
>strictly true. And just because it is what is said does not  make it true
>either.
>
>Regards
>    (01)

But what you call "short cut" is not exception but rule (even strictly
logically , as it may be a real business rule). And when that rule is applied
the statement above becomes strictly true. That is exactly the kind of rule
that would be a part of context. The question then becomes: when do these
context rules live? To say that the statements like  "this is the
fingerprint..." are 4D worms is not enough. This also goes to the question of
what is the application of Truth. Wittgenstein said something to the effect
that "knowledge is use".        (02)