[ontolog-forum] Ontology prior art : (was Self Interest Ontology)

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 20:30:29 -0400
About "prior art" in ontologies:    (01)

>>[Doug Foxvog]
>> Two good places to look for prior art are SUMO and OpenCyc.
>> Instead of waiting until you get stuck, it can be useful to use both
>> of these, as well as a dictionary when creating ontologies.  Centuries
>> of effort has gone into developing these publicly available ontologies,
>> and using them may save you time and effort.    (02)

  Yes, these are useful, and there are a number of others.  May I suggest
that you add the COSMO ontology to the list of
Top-level ("upper" or "foundation") ontologies?  It has things in it that
are not in OpenCyc or SUMO, and is intended to contain a comprehensive
inventory of the semantic primitives - as well as other elemens useful to
help build domain ontologies.    (03)

   See: http://micra.com/COSMO  for the ontology and some discussion of it.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy