Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:36:30 +0200
In the model Rich apparently wants, every activity/event/situation... classifier is unique and provides a unique set of roles.  The general model is just ActivityType has RoleType, and Activity has Role, and Role is played by Thing.  Then, you may have to distinguish active roles from passive roles, and Tasks, which have a single active role, from Collaborations, which have multiple active roles, and so on.  And you still find yourself creating time relationships and place relationships, even though they are also just "roles".  Such models are pretty common in the world of process specification.  I would recommend ISO 18629 Process Specification Language -- the Gruninger/Menzel model of processes and activities -- as an exemplar, but it is an ISO publication, which costs much more than a textbook.

My point was that this stuff is in the literature.   (Leo came through on the Davidsonian model.  Perhaps Chris or Michael can point to a suitable primer on the PSL model.)

Michael and I co-authored two papers on PSL that might be helpful; the first is rather informal, the second somewhat technical:

"The Process Specification Language (PSL): Theory and Applications,"
 AI Magazine 24(3) (Fall 2003), 63-74.

"A Formal Foundation for Process Modeling," C. Welty and B. Smith (eds.), Formal Ontology and Information Systems, New York: ACM Press, 2001, 256-269.

The first paper appears to be freely downloadable from AAAI here. A final draft of the second can be found here. (I don't think that's any sort of copyright violation. If it is, well, sorry.)

-chris