Re: [ontolog-forum] Siri's (Apple) Patent Application

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:30:44 -0700

Dear Ali,

Patents were not created to help professors write papers or to help journalists write articles.  Jefferson created the patent system in response to the custom of the times where an apprentice would be working for a master craftsman who would share his knowledge about a trade with the apprentice, but would retain the rights to the product or service he produces.

I wouldn’t ask a banker what semantic methodology works best for what problem specification; I would ask a semantic engineer.  By the same token, I wouldn’t expect lawyers, even IP lawyers, to understand the business model of innovative companies.  So why would those articles (quoted below) shed any light on the problems of bringing new fundamental technology to market?  They are all written by law school profs and journalists!

Ask startup founders if you want the perspective that does the work.  Ask advisors if you want details to help you with the peripheral issues.  Ask the people who do the actual work for the reasons they work, for the constraints they perceive, and for the best way to improve technology with the smallest amount of resources.

JMHO,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper