Re: [ontolog-forum] Siri's (Apple) Patent Application

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kristof Van Tomme <kristof@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:40:14 +0200
I see the value of a patent as a means to get some leverage over big
players that otherwise might want to copy them. However, in the
current system for small companies the costs of litigation means that
it's more of a bluf card than an actual option you want to take.    (01)

Doesn't the copyright laws sufficiently protect software to make it
worth to invest in field testing and verification where the costs of
doing so is warranted?    (02)

But even without locking in copyright, there are plenty of examples of
successful companies working on top of an open source platform, which
basically means anybody can come in and copy big pieces of the
product. It requires a different business model, but it's possible to
thrive under an open source license.    (03)

A lot of companies are nowadays not bought for their products but for
their developers, know how and customers: basically to redevelop the
product they built before under the umbrella of the parent
organization. So there are several other assets that companies can
rely on to lock in value.    (04)

So I stand by my believe that it's necessary to trim down the lawyer
tax that the patent system has become and keep it only there where it
provides real value to society.    (05)

cheers,
Kristof    (06)

PS: really enjoying discussing this, it's a lot of things I've been
thinking about recently    (07)

ir. Kristof Van Tomme
CEO
Skype: kvantomme