Re: [ontolog-forum] Siri's (Apple) Patent Application

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:25:27 -0400
Hehe

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I expect my son the lawyer to have a fat and busy life.

Not necessarily - http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/robot_invasion/2011/09/will_robots_steal_your_job_5.single.html

Just a while longer before legal ontologies and ML get good enough to complete the commodification (commoditization?) of this sector of the economy... P

More seriously,

[EB]
At some point, I will need to understand the legal relationship between
'prior art' and FTF.  It is absolutely necessary that publication of
prior art is a valid defense.  Otherwise the effect on academic work
could be catastrophic.

What is the status of a blog post? Or a google group for that matter? Do they constitute published material?
What if it is behind a paywall, or at least requires a login? I'm not really sure what counts either as adequate published material.

And seriously -- a digital assistant that is able to take input from some device, interpret it, connect it to an ontology and then orchestrate services over a network and send the results to an output device is a novel discovery? Siri's a great application that demonstrates how one can successfully deploy and commercialize various AI technologies, but the claims in this application are incredibly broad.

Ali

--