Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:34:43 -0400
Oh yes, and there is all the research cited in Dan Pink's work, popularized in his book Drive, or for a short preview, either of these:
or

The bibliography of his book contains links to a lot of relevant research on motivation, self-interest and action.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ML
> I would be happy to be included in its continued discourse, but
> would be even more delighted if the ontology focused on lower levels
> of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, in terms of survival--with special
> attention aimed at characterizing fitness as composed by a person's
> trajectory toward desired metabolic, physical, emotional, cognitive
> and ??? phenotypes.

I would consider that more promising than starting with Hutter's theory.

I would recommend taking a close look at:
Authors: Douglas T. Kenrick, Vladas Griskevicius, Steven L. Neuberg and Mark Schaller
Title: Renovating the Pyramid of Needs : Contemporary Extensions Built Upon Ancient Foundation
Publication: Perspectives on Psychological Science 2010 5: 292

Abstract:  Maslow’s pyramid of human needs, proposed in 1943, has been one of the most cognitively contagious ideas in the behavioral sciences. Anticipating later evolutionary views of human motivation and cognition, Maslow viewed human motives as based in innate and universal predispositions. We revisit the idea of a motivational hierarchy in light of theoretical developments at the interface of evolutionary biology, anthropology, and psychology. After considering motives at three different levels of analysis, we argue that the basic foundational structure of the pyramid is worth preserving, but that it should be buttressed with a few architectural extensions. By adding a contemporary design feature, connections between fundamental motives and immediate situational threats and opportunities should be highlighted. By incorporating a classical element, these connections can be strengthened by anchoring the hierarchy of human motives more firmly in the bedrock of modern evolutionary theory. We propose a renovated hierarchy of fundamental motives that serves as both an integrative framework and a generative foundation for future empirical research.

Another good resource, for thinking about self-interest in group dynamics is work by Jonathan Haidt:
This paper, is a good starting point: