Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why mostclassificationsare fuzz

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 10:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, August 8, 2011 16:40, AzamatAbdoullaev said:
> RC: "But it seems to me that self interest, widely distributed among the
> population, and often at odds with the commons, that should drive the
> system instead of regulatory bodies....I think what is missing is a full
> and adequate accounting of self interest."    (01)

> Egoism/self-interest/self-concern/self-centerness as the concern for your
> own welfare and desires, be it ethical, psychological, rational or
> enlightened, appears the cause of the issue you mentioned.  It's widely
> believed that social orders are emerging form local multiple interactions
> of self-interested individuals without resorting to any planning.    (02)

An ontology of self-interest could be interesting.  The weighting of
immediate gratification, long-term interest, and interest in a beneficial
environment (social, financial, physical, ...) could be used to describe
different mind-sets, politics, and religious orientations.  Empathy and
limits of the groups to which varying degrees of empathy apply would
need to be modeled as well.    (03)

> A self-organization, or spontaneous order appears without a central
> authority/coordinator imposing it's central planning.    (04)

Certainly.  However, greater order appears when groups of people set up
governments to secure rights and protect people from anti-social entities
(those who have no concern for rights and well being of others).    (05)

Regulatory bodies form a major position in a government which protects
the population from potential harm due to ignoring safety, false
advertising, pollution, and other corrupt practices.    (06)

> The real
> self-organizing emerges from bottom-up interactions, as happens with the
> self-organizing networks, small-world networks, or scale-free networks,
> limitless in size. What we see in the big politics is not about
> self-organizing, but about the top-down hierarchical interactions or
> interferences, reminding severely limited top-down hierarchical networks,
> which are not self-organizing.    (07)

Is a group of people getting together to choose policies an example of
self-organizing or not?  What about if there are so many people that they
select representatives to debate among themselves and choose those
policies?    (08)

> So why the free market economy is failing with its "invisible hand" of
> spontaneous order. A rather simple answer, the elite also has its
> self-interest, which is fully domineering over common individuals.    (09)

Its perceived self-interest is a maximization of wealth and power.  In
general, the concern is not about domineering common individuals -- they
probably rarely consider the effects of their policies on common
individuals.    (010)

> As a
> result, the "invisible hand" disregards the general interests of the
> nation and society at large while at the same time enriching the rich. As
> we know from the statistics, the crisis makes the rich much more richer
> and the poor much more poor.    (011)

Agreed.    (012)

-- doug f    (013)

> I have to agree with N. Chomsky that this "hand" is not as benevolent as
> advertised; for: " It destroys community, the environment, and human
> values generally-and even the masters themselves, which is why the
> business classes have regularly called for state intervention to protect
> them from market forces": http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199303--.htm.
>
> Azamat Abdoullaev

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (015)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.